* Exercise on a regular basis
* Avoid long periods of immobility
* If you have a surgery, broken bone, or are hospitalized, please ask your doctor about blood clots and what can be done to prevent blood clots from occurring.
* Ask your doctor about blood clots when taking birth control medications or undergoing hormone replacement therapy.
* If you are traveling by plane, train, or bus for long periods of time, get up and move around every hour.
* If you are traveling by car, it is a good idea to stop and walk around every couple of hours.
* Maintain a healthy weight
* Wear loose fitting clothing, socks, and stockings.
* Familiarize yourself with your family medical history
* Learn the signs and symptoms of blood clots